Posted on 17 July 2017
The quality of healthcare in the country you plan on buying your dream home in will be one of your primary concerns. You will want to relax and enjoy everything your chosen destination has to offer, safe in the knowledge that your families health and well-being are in good hands.
Over a year on from the referendum and with Brexit negotiations in full swing, anyone looking to move to Europe will be keeping a close eye on the efforts being made to protect their rights to do so. Therefore, the formation of the Brexit Health Alliance (BHA) last month was just the sort of positive news all budding expats had been hoping for.
This alliance of the NHS, medical research, industry, patients and public health organisations aims to safeguard the interests of patients and the healthcare and research they rely on, by ensuring these key issues receive the attention they deserve during Brexit negotiations. As part of its mission it will call on the government to make sure that UK citizens’ right to receive healthcare in EU countries is preserved.
BHA founding members:
- NHS Confederation – Co-chair of alliance
- Welsh NHS Confederation
- Northern Ireland Confederation (NICON)
- Association of UK University Hospitals (AUKUH)
- Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AOMRC)
- NHS Providers
- National Voices
- Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI)
- Association of British Healthcare Industries (ABHI)
- The Richmond Group of Charities
- BioIndustry Association (BIA)
- Faculty of Public Health (FPH)
- Association of Medical Research Charities – (AMRC)
- Scottish NHS Chief Executive Group
BHA co-chair, Sir Hugh Taylor, explained: “Our aim will be to ensure a strong focus on health as Brexit approaches, and that we offer views from across the health sector to negotiators to ensure that patient care and the population’s health and wellbeing will be protected as we leave the EU.” The BHA will encourage a partnership between the UK and Europe on all healthcare issues and promote continued access to healthcare in all EU countries for UK subjects.
For further information about how to buy a property abroad, get your free download of the Buying Overseas Guide, by clicking here.